Best Cushioned Running Shoes – Even as an experienced runner, the thought of having to pick out your next pair of running shoes can be daunting. Fortunately, cushioned running shoes come in many different forms. For example, the best cushioned running shoes for you might be ones with the maximum amount of cushioning, especially if you tend to overpronate. Neutral runners, or those with normal to high arches, may find that less cushioning is better.
Runners with high arches should seek shoes with a softer midsole, according to this Cleveland Clinic article. Properly cushioned shoes allow for optimal shock absorption when running. In contrast, those with low arches may do best with a firmer midsole. While it’s a good idea to keep this general advice in mind, your needs may be different from those of a runner with the same type of pronation.
A properly cushioned shoe isn’t necessarily the heaviest. In fact, some of the best cushioned running shoes for general use offer lightweight performance with ample cushioning. According to Carson Caprara, a senior product manager for Brooks Running, up to 80 percent of runners surveyed prefer a lightweight yet cushioned shoe. From the most cushioning for road runs to cushioning in the right places for trails, here’s a look at this year’s top cushioned running shoes.
Best Cushioned Running Shoes – Saucony Freedom Iso 2 Running Shoes
According to many users, the Saucony Freedom ISO 2 was a well-crafted running shoe that offered an exceptional performance in a great-quality package. A lot of Saucony loyalists were pleased with the improvements made to the shoe. Overall, the majority stated the Freedom ISO 2 made their runs better, and that they genuinely enjoyed wearing the shoe.
Saucony Freedom Iso 2 Running Shoes – Reasons to Buy
- The upper felt much more durable compared to the previous version, a reviewer wrote.
- One user stated that the updated midsole of the Saucony Freedom ISO 2 helped keep the foot centered.
- The shoe did not cause hot spots even with extended periods of wear, a runner noticed.
- Many buyers commented that the shoe was lightweight.
- The upper was very breathable, according to several wearers.
- A lot of customers liked the design of the Freedom ISO 2.
- There was adequate traction from the outsole, a number of runners remarked.
- The shoe was extra supportive at the ankle area, said a reviewer.
- The EVERUN™ midsole was responsive and springy as expected, one runner stated.
Saucony Freedom Iso 2 Running Shoes – Reasons not to Buy
- The Freedom ISO 2 ran large in sizing, claimed a couple of wearers.
- The ride was not as stable as with the original version, a user expressed.
- One commenter noted that the shoe was not as affordable as its predecessor.
The Saucony Freedom ISO 2 is an update to a fresh series that’s meant to provide an accommodating performance to neutral pronators. It makes use of a form-fitting design to sanction the natural movement capacity of the wearer’s foot.
ISOKNIT is the amalgamation of knitted textile and Saucony’s proprietary sock-like construction. It’s crafted to prevent skin irritation and hot spots while also bringing breathable support. A plastic support frame at the back of the shoe holds the heel and keeps it in place.
The midsole unit of the Freedom ISO 2 uses a foam compound that’s made to absorb impact shock and provide responsive cushioning. It has a contoured midfoot to support and cushion the arch, as well. A flexible rubber acts as a shield against the abrasive nature of the surfaces.
Best Cushioned Running Shoes – Brooks Ghost 11
Many users have found themselves considering buying the Brooks Ghost 11 for a second or third time, while others were very expressive of their satisfaction as they switched from a different shoe – that’s how great they believe it is. With many praises about the shoe’s features and functionality, it is no surprise that wearers would regard the Ghost 11 as one of the best running shoes on the market. Best Cushioned Running Shoes
Brooks Ghost 11 – Reasons to Buy
- The Brooks Ghost 11 had a nice cushion that enabled an excellent transition with adequate bounce, according to an impressed user.
- Several wearers commended the shoe for its roomy interiors.
- The shoe is very accommodating towards heel strikers, some runners observed.
- The shoe’s minimal weight allowed for an effortless and comfortable run, a number of users commented.
- An athlete commended the Ghost 11 for being the most comfortable daily running shoe they have used. Another wearer said it gave the best arch support among other neutral running shoes.
- The shoe felt softer and more flexible compared to its previous versions, said a reviewer.
- The adequate cushioning of the midsole prevented foot pain and muscle stiffness, according to a wearer.
- One buyer compared wearing the shoe to “wrapping the foot in a cloud.”
- The Brooks Ghost 11 is suitable for both walking and running, a user claimed.
- A consumer expressed that the Ghost 11 is highly recommendable to any runner with knee issues
Brooks Ghost 11 – Reasons not to Buy
- One reviewer attributed the shoe’s bulky and uncomfortable feel to its high heel-to-toe drop.
- The shoelaces are a bit short, a user supposed.
- The mesh upper does not look like a durable as it claims, a doubtful buyer stated.
The latest iteration of the Brooks Ghost is a much softer and lighter shoe that promises a smoother ride than ever before. This neutral road-running shoe allows for an optimized foot flexibility beneath an exterior that is breathable and irritation-free. The updated engineered mesh upper provides a lightweight feel that is like a second skin. Now with improved components, the mesh is more structured and stretchable, which allows for a delicate and almost-invisible sensation.
The sole unit is comprised of BioMoGo DNA and DNA Loft cushioning technologies that work together to deliver the sufficient level of softness, but not at the expense of responsiveness and durability. The DNA Loft is a new feature introduced in the Ghost 11; it is a crash pad that promotes softer landings. The midsole sits on a newly-designed outsole that presents a new lug pattern and an improved flexibility.
Best Cushioned Running Shoes – Asics GEL-DS Trainer 23
The Asics Gel DS Trainer 23 received mostly positive reviews from consumers. They welcomed the snug and locked upper of this stability running shoe, emphasizing its capacity to accommodate lateral foot-movements. People also lauded its versatile design, functionality, and durability. There were a few complaints about the lack of additional colorways, but that didn’t deviate the shoe’s status as a worthy update to the long-running DS Trainer series of road running shoes. Best Cushioned Running Shoes
Asics GEL-DS Trainer 23 – Reasons to Buy
- The upper unit of the Asics Gel DS Trainer 23 wrapped around the foot surely and securely, stated several consumers.
- Some runners noted that wearing this shoe for various running sessions and gym training felt agreeable.
- Most testers revealed that the in-shoe experience was instantly comfortable, that it didn’t need a break-in period.
- The lightweight nature of this product gained some fans who desired functionality and style in an insubstantial package.
- According to several users, it worked admirably as both a trainer and as a racer.
- The durability was lauded as it resisted wear and tear satisfactorily.
- A purchaser reported that the upper’s secure yet uncomplicated fit permitted lateral movements.
Asics GEL-DS Trainer 23 – Reasons not to Buy
- Some people lamented the drought of colorways; they would’ve preferred more options when it came to the visuals of this shoe.
The Asics Gel DS Trainer 23 is a running shoe that’s designed for those who have overpronation. It offers lightweight cushioning and support in a secure construction. Its design is strikingly similar to its immediate predecessor, the DS Trainer 22, with only the overlay placement and the color schemes being the most obvious difference.
The midsole makes use of in-house technologies that aim to deliver a comfortable running experience. Lightweight foam serves as the full-length carrying unit. Several other components are placed into it to provide support, stability and additional shock absorption.
The outsole makes use of two rubber compounds to deliver traction, protection, and reactiveness to the gait. These layers are formed to last long, as well. The DuoSole® construction is made up of non-prominent lugs in the forefoot area which heighten surface grip and encourage flexibility.
Best Cushioned Running Shoes – Adidas Solar Boost
The Adidas Solar Boost delivered what runners would expect from a running shoe: comfortable, responsive, and efficient. Many users were satisfied with the performance brought about by the shoe, and they found a bonus in its trendy look. Despite the high price point and other relative criticisms, the Solar Boost seems to have proven that it enables a fantastic running adventure.
Adidas Solar Boost – Reasons to Buy
- The Adidas Solar Boost offered a snappy ride, wrote a reviewer.
- The boost™ midsole supplied added bounce and encouraged a quicker pace, mentioned a runner. Others said it provided a cushioning that was more accommodating than expected.
- A user claimed that the outsole had a broad heel that enhanced ground feel.
- Various commenters agreed the shoe possessed a stylish appearance that was suitable for casual wear.
- The upper was praised by several users, citing remarks such as “breathable,” “comfortable,” and “lightweight.”
Adidas Solar Boost – Reasons not to Buy
- Many buyers thought the Adidas Solar Boost was expensive.
- One wearer complained the arch support was missing from the shoe.
Running enthusiasts might be familiar with the name of this shoe, as a similar release was made a few years ago. The Adidas Solar Boost is now redesigned, including an overhaul of its construction and technologies. While some might notice the silhouette is the same as the original version, it is worth noting that this edition adds crucial features that the previous one lacked.
The Solar Boost uses an all-new, premium technology dubbed the Tailored Fiber Placement (TFP) to create an overall lightweight shoe. This process confirms a secure fit while also permitting a convenient way of wearing the shoe. Aside from the new method, the Solar Boost also favors new materials in the development of the upper, such as the Parley midfoot cage. Best Cushioned Running Shoes
Meanwhile, the sole unit consists of familiar and trusted characteristics, namely the boost™ midsole compound and the Continental™ and Stretchweb® rubbers for the outsole. Although the boost™ was also present in the original version, this shoe takes the technology and utilizes it better, resulting in improved performance for the runner. It also exhibits a new unit: The Solar Rail Propulsion technology.